Tuesday, October 25, 2011

comparing chocolate to quinoa

i've got a real problem comparing myself with others. whether it's something that i should worry about inside my heart, or something as frivilous as someone's nail polish color, i'm constantly looking at ways to compare myself to "them". most of the time, it's not even a fair apples-to-apples comparison, but more of a chocolate-to-quinoa comparison. examples follow.

"she sure looks popular. i don't even wear makeup most of the time."
"they seem to have their lives together. i wish i'd finished pharmacy school."
"she's such a good baker. i don't clean my floors often enough."

see? those aren't even related. but they're real thoughts i've had. thing is, even if they're accurate comparisons, it's not fair. i'm who i am. i was designed by god to have my own strengths and weaknesses. and that's beautiful! so, in light of this, i've decided to make a list of things that are good qualities of mine. it's a short one, but that's good for now.

i am a devoted wife to my husband.
i strive to know god more every day.
i have a spiritual gift of hospitality.
i surround myself with people who are good for me.
i'm learning more about myself every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment