Friday, September 16, 2011

grab a coffee and study with me

Proverbs 31:12

i had a lot to say today, so i'm just doing one verse.

P31:12: "She does him good and not harm, all the days of her life."

The work a woman does is not for her own good, but for the good of her whole family-- in this verse, her husband.

well, what i do in regards to homemaking (cleaning, coking, making lunches, etc.) makes me feel better about providing for my husband. but it's sort of selfish. i feel better when i do these things. he says he can take it or leave it. there's proof in this-- while i'm busy with work, school, etc, he helps around the house with dinner and laundry.

i make a point of reminding him that i still want to help. i'm terribly worried that i'll get into this habit of not working at home, so that when teaching and school is done, we'll be in the habit of husband doing the homemaking instead of me. this is not the way i want it to be. more importantly, it's not biblical. the man is supposed to do certain things for the family, just as the woman is supposed to do certain things for the family. i don't feel that those roles should be reversed in most situations.

reminder: this is my interpretation and analyzing of this verse. you don't have to agree. i am just comparing this against my life and encouraging myself to grow with this project. that being said, i still welcome comments and encourage you to leave whatever you're thinking after reading this.

1 comment:

  1. I've always felt that way too Erin. I get all fretful if I leave something undone for a bit, and my hear my husband doing it. I feel I've failed at my "job" so to speak. I'm old fashioned and want to be the little housekeeping woman, and take care of him, but he usually winds up taking care of me. :)

    ReplyDelete